The emerging all-rounder turns 24 today, here are 10 facts you should know about him.
1. His father closed his business of car financing and moved to Baroda from Surat; got Hardik and his brother Krunal enrolled in the Kiran More Cricket academy, at the ages of 5 and 7.
2. Hardik failed to clear his 9th standard exams. After this jolt, he shifted his entire focus to cricket.
3. His father, the breadwinner of the family suffered heart attack thrice and had to leave the job.
4. Krunal and Hardik often used to spend the entire day solely on one meal those days. The brothers were nicknamed as ‘Maggi brothers’ as they ate only Maggi.
5. He opened up in an interview- “There was no name for the tournament. It was just between villages. I would play for teams like Jhambuja XI. What was the fascination? Rs 400. My brother used to get Rs 500. For a week at least, life would be normal. There was no name for the tournament.”
6. Kiran More did not charge a single penny to coach Hardik initially.
7. Hardik was a leg-spinner before switching to medium pace. He was asked by Kiran More to bowl seam as his team was one quickie short. In that match, to everyone’s surprise, he grabbed 7 wickets.
8. Pathan brothers are his mentors, the people who helped to build his career. Once during Vijay Hazare Trophy in 2014, Irfan Pathan lent his bat to Hardik as he didn’t have one to play.
9. He smashed 39 runs off one over during a Group C match which is a record.
10. John Wright spotted the talent and enrolled him into the Mumbai Indians team in 2015 and as they say, the rest is history.